search {kidlist}

Loading...

Monday, September 12, 2011

A Birthday Tradition

I'm not sure where my mom got the idea, but it's a good one; every year on our birthday we would wake up to balloons over our head! While we were sleeping my parents hung balloons from the ceiling so when we opened our eyes we would see big balls of color that corresponded to how old we were. I started doing this for Elliott when he turned two (I hung two balloons over his bed) then continued with three when he turned three etc.


There's nothing fancy about it... just blow the balloons up (no helium necessary), tie string or ribbon to each balloon and tape the string to the ceiling while they are sleeping. You can stand on a chair next to the bed or you can step on the edge of the bed. It's a nervous but thrilling feeling to pull it off every year without waking them up, but it's hasn't happened yet and I don't remember waking up when my parents did it either.

It's so fun to wake up with them over your head! I don't know if I should admit this, but I still love it and my mom has been known to hang them over my head on my birthday to this day. :)


Note: In a world filled with legal disclaimers I feel like I have to at least mention the obvious: be careful with balloons and string, especially when your kids are little. Hang them high enough that they cannot accidentally hit them or pull them down while they are sleeping. Tape them so they do not fall. Basically, eliminate the risk of balloons popping or string wrapping around to create a dangerous situation. I'm sure all of you think about these things, but I would feel irresponsible if I didn't mention it.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea. My son turns one in January and I think I will start this tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely loved the idea and very sweet of your mom to do it till date. I think I am going to do it for my kids' birthdays next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and whimsical tradition!

    ReplyDelete